Teacher Training / Immersion
“Teach…from your mat!”
A 50 Hour Training Intensive for Teachers and Practitioners
With David Gellineau
an Authorised Ashtanga Teacher / Certified Hatha Vinyasa Yoga Teacher and Studio Director
The art of teaching is a form of yoga, requiring practice, self-reflection and sensitivity. This 50-hour training is designed as an immersion into the teaching techniques of Ashtanga Yoga. Grounded in technical excellence and offered in a weekend format, this training will open the door to the inspiring aspects of not just “what” but “how” to share the practice, and make a a good class feel great, empowering and life changing. Practitioners and teachers will gain great insights and wealth of knowledge as to how to share the practice of Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga in a traditional and contemporary setting to all levels of students. The information contained in this course is designed for those with an established practice and are already teaching, as well as those wanting to attend, only to enrich and deepen one’s dedication to their personal practice.
Modelling an effective approach to discovering what is most appropriate for the practitioner, at the Beach Yoga Centre we base our practice and teaching on Ashtanga Vinyasa and Ashtanga Vinyasa Krama yoga and this training will be inspired by the Primary and Intermediate and Third Series of Ashtanga Yoga.
Upon completion of this course students will have the privilege and have the opportunity to, offer Introduction to Yoga Workshops and sub/teach classes at BYC. Since the path of Yoga is personal and needs to be appropriate for each student, the selection will be based on the strength and understanding of their own practice, “the practice”, “asana”, and the ability to guide, encourage self reliance and support, as a teacher or peer of others Yoga path.
This course will include:
Traditional / contemporary teaching techniques for an all levels Ashtanga Led class:
- Assuming the role as a teacher; practical and effective cueing.
- Direct guidance and support to help you find, develop and hone your own voice and your teaching style by examining how Ashtanga Yoga can be taught in a traditional and or contemporary environment.
- Breath & Pranayama techniques.
- The Energetic Locks and Actions of the practice.
Integrative Asana Technique:
- Comprehensive study of techniques and universal actions of the fundamental postures and movements.
- The exact science of the Vinyasa counts for postures within the practice.
- Ashtanga Vinyasa Krama Yoga techniques, the pedagogy for Asana classes. Exploring how to teach to the individual, adapting the practice to the individual in a class setting.
- Teaching strategies for teachers, allowing the individual to make the practice their own.
- How, when and if to apply modifications to postures.
Teach Through Touch:
- Adjustments in the form of physical, verbal and visual.
- Mastering the art of observation, reading and understanding bodies.
- 3 different learning styles explored.
- Practical anatomy.
Theory and philosophy:
- Postures and their sanskrit names.
- Overview of the Eight Limbs of Ashtanga Yoga and its role as a guide for modern living.
- The physical practice of asana in the “bigger picture.”
Mysore (Self Practice):
- Direct guidance and encouragement in deepening your already existing personal practice. This will be done in the Mysore environment.
- Develop a new level of self awareness and presence in your practice.
- Learning not just what to practice, but how to practice.
- Schedule Mysore and Led physical practice: alternating between a guided sitting practice and discussion.
This is an in depth training into the details and the exact science that underlie the practice and teaching of Ashtanga Yoga and Ashtanga Vinyasa Krama Yoga. Practitioners and teachers can expect to deepen their self awareness, move past plateaus, and discover their own voice that speaks compassionately and confidently to students. This course is open to any practitioner or teacher interested in exploring the meaning of a personal practice and how to develop the mind set, the tools and the inclination to teach Ashtanga Yoga. A consistent personal practice, understanding of the flow, the sequence of the asanas is recommended and encouraged, as this course is not designed to learn the sequence, instead it is to learn how to teach.
Weekend 1: Nov 1 to 2
Weekend 2: November 7 to 9
Weekend 3: November 14 to 16
Weekend 4: November 21 to 23
Fridays 7:30 – 9:00 (includes: Mysore 5:00 – 7:15pm)
Saturdays 2:30 – 5:30pm (includes: Mysore 12:00 – 2:15pm)
Sundays 1:30 – 4:00pm (includes: Led Primary: 10 – 11:30am)
“David is one of the most knowledgeable yoga teachers that I have ever met!” – Elsie Matthijssens founder of Antwerp Yoga, Belgium
If you are looking to reconnect with the ancient and honoured practice of Ashtanga, to know how to count the breaths as you move into the asanas with awareness, to go deeper in a gentle and respectful manner to your body, to gain a deeper appreciation of how the practice is connected to the universe and the moon, the Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga workshop will give you this…and more. I was looking to step up my practice, and this workshop was the vehicle for achieving this. I came away with a heightened awareness of how my body moves in space, how to synchronize my breath with the asanas, how to move my body into new and hidden places. DG’s manner of instruction is gentle and respectful. He challenged me to new heights and enhanced my awareness of this beautiful spiritual practice. This workshop is truly a path to personal development. Highly recommended!” – Luzita Kennedy
$1075 + HST.
– Includes unlimited Mysore and Primary Series classes, for the duration of the course at the Beach Yoga Centre.
– Payment plans are available upon request.
Contact us by email to register.
Take your practice and teaching to a new level!